Heap is an innovative data company whose story is powerful but nuanced; as Heap’s first communications designer, you'll play a pivotal role in helping us tell that story to the world through our brand, website, blog, ebooks, emails, presentations, events, and more. You’ll report to our VP Design and be instrumental in building design culture and process of design at Heap.
Data is only as good as the narrative that accompanies it, the people who manipulate it, and the ability to ask questions of it flexibly and iteratively. We're already leading the way with auto-capture and event virtualization. But there's so much more we can do…and we want you to be a part of creating and evangelizing that vision!
Your job will be fast-paced and varied. At Heap, this means you will:
- Manage our brand identity. Work with the entire team—and especially our marketing team and CMO—to enforce and evolve a consistent, unique identity, aesthetic, and voice: logo, typography, color, illustration style, web design, and more.
- Design our web presence. Ensure our identity and narrative shine on our website. Evolve existing templates and build new ones. Provide illustrations, icons, and copy.
- Provide marketing assets. From presentation templates to blog headers to brochures, provide new assets to make our story shine, and resources to help our marketing team produce materials on a self-serve basis. Coordinate external agency or contract resources to extend your reach.
- Extend the brand into the product. Produce illustrations and icons for use inside our web app.
What we're looking for:
- Strong visual design, brand/identity, and web design skills. A balance of creativity with pragmatism, awareness of trends with a desire to up-end them.
- A gift for narrative, both visual and prose.
- Ability to work with tight timelines and make appropriate trade-offs.
- Comfort working within an existing design/brand system, but also evolving it.
- Strong project-management skills: you’ll be juggling a lot of small projects at once, and coordinating external resources to help you with production.
- Comfort with ambiguity, and a willingness to take on tasks outside your comfort zone. We’re a startup, after all!
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- A sense of humor and a desire to learn.
As a data company, security is extremely important to us. Here are a few security best practices all Heaple follow:
- All laptops: enable full-disk encryption, install company-provided anti-virus and/or firewall.
- Third-party software and tools: must be evaluated for security and privacy before use.
- Data access: only handle data manually or make copies if there is absolutely no way to avoid it.
- Office security: keep the secure perimeter closed, and challenge unfamiliar faces.
- Breaches and security incidents: if you are aware of a breach or something stolen, escalate.
People are what make Heap awesome. Regardless of age, education, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any personal characteristics, we want everyone to feel welcome. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive equal opportunity workplace everyone can call home.
Heap has raised $40M in funding from NEA, Y Combinator, Menlo Ventures, SVAngel, Sam Altman, Garry Tan, Alexis Ohanian, Harj Taggar, Ram Shriram, and others. We work in SF and offer plenty of awesome benefits. We'd love to hear from you!
View All Job OpeningsApply Today